Easiest Way to Prepare Tasty Chocolate Dream Pie
Chocolate Dream Pie.
You can have Chocolate Dream Pie using 17 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chocolate Dream Pie
- You need of MERINGUE PIE SHELL:.
- Prepare 4 of EGG WHITES, room temperature.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of cream of tartar.
- It's 1 cup of superfine sugar.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp. of salt.
- You need of FILLING:.
- You need 4 of egg yolks.
- It's 3 oz of unsweetened chocolate.
- You need 1/2 cup of superfine sugar.
- It's 1/8 tsp of salt.
- It's 2 Tbsp of water.
- You need 1 cup of heavy cream, whipped.
- You need of TOPPING:.
- It's 1 cup of heavy cream.
- You need 2 Tbsp of superfine sugar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of vanilla.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of grated unsweetened chocolate.
Chocolate Dream Pie instructions
- PREHEAT oven to 250°F. Separate the eggs. BEAT the egg whites and cream of tartar in a bowl on high speed until foamy. While still beating constantly, ADD the sugar, 2 Tbsp. at a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. (Rub a bit of meringue between thumb and forefinger; it should feel completely smooth.) Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in stiff peaks..
- SPREAD the meringue into a 9-inch Pyrex pie plate. With the back of a spoon, build up the edge to form a rim. The finished result should be in the shape of a pie shell..
- BAKE the shell in 250°F oven until firm and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Turn off the oven. Let the shell dry in oven, with door closed, until it is cool and crisp, at least 1 hour..
- Melt chocolate in a microwave safe dish.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks, the sugar, salt and water..
- Using a mixer, slowly stir some of the melted hot chocolate into the egg yolk mixture. Constant mixing is required so that the hot chocolate doesn't curdle the egg yolks. Keep adding the chocolate, stirring constantly, until all the chocolate has been added to the egg yolks and the mixture is smooth..
- Transfer the mixture into a double boiler and heat on low until thick..
- Remove from heat and put aside to cool. At least 2 hours or overnight..
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks..
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream. Since the chocolate mixture is thick (very much like fudge) I find it easier to add the chocolate to the whipped cream by the spoonful and then folding it a little at a time. Once the all the chocolate has been folded into the whipped cream, it's ready to spoon it into the meringue shell..
- Cover the pie with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours..
- Before Serving, make the whipped cream topping. To do this, put the heavy cream, vanilla and sugar in a bowl and beat until the cream is stiff. Spread the whipped cream on top of the pie and sprinkle the top with grated chocolate..